Wednesday 18 February 2009

Overslept

I read the whole of The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) yesterday, on the tube and then in bed last night. In fact I was reading until about 4.30am - that's why I'm not in my lecture now. I just couldn't stop though - I'm one of those people who has to stop at the end of a chapter, but that makes it so much harder when it's a good book.

The Kite Runner is a very sad book, with some heart wrenching turns of event. It gives a brilliant portrayal of Afghanistan's transformation since the 70s, without spending much time on the details of the country's history. It's also a great tale of friendship and human nature, sacrifice and self-interest. Overall a great read.

Some other books I've read recently:

Robinson Crusoe (Daniel Defoe)
Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) - A must read
The Name of the Rose (Umbero Eco)
The Godfather (Mario Puzo)
2001 A Space Odyssey (Arthur C Clarke)

And one complete disappointment - Catch 22. What a terrible book.

No comments:

Post a Comment